bits/wordsize.h

Wolfram Wadepohl Wolfram.Wadepohl at ek-automation.com
Mon Apr 18 08:29:35 UTC 2011

I think we are talking about different things. I'm absolutely unfamiliar
with FreeType and it may be that Ralf is totally right relating to
FreeType. I don't know. That is not the thing I wanted to point out.

Generally RTMES lacks in support of many widely available and also used
features, if standard or not, to implement control systems, which are
tightly integrated into SCADA. Especially in networking I reached the point
to make a decision about the future: RTEMS or GNU/LINUX.

It is not the matter of a simple definition. We must frequently implement
3rd party code into the system, mostly developed for Windows or GNU/LINUX
sytems.

In the automation world a system works for 10 or 15 years but not as a
static one, rather as a dynamic. So we have to keep track in control
software with the evolution and roll out releases to incorporate all the
new technologies if standard conform or not.

Just as an example: I learned that the networking stack is an very old BSD
relict and many RTEMS user would apreciate a current stack including IPv6.
But no one takes the effort to update to a current release. For a small to
medium sized enterprise, like us,  this project is also too big.

What I want to point out is, that the community is currently not able to
carry out this work. When we are faced with IPv6 as a asolutely _must_
_have_? In months, years, decades?

Not the decision about bits/wordsize.h is in my mind. Shall we stay with
RTEMS or shall we move to GNU/LINUX. I'm convinced of RTEMS but it gets
harder and harder to convince others (managagement, sales, customers). And
I do not know how RTEMS evolve, neither direction nor timeline. And this
makes it difficult to get funds for development of RTEMS components.

--
Wolfram Wadepohl, Forschung & Entwicklung
E&K AUTOMATION GMBH, Werk Reutlingen