Strange problem with newlib strstr function and rtems 4.10 on coldfire

Paul Whitfield paulw at omnitronics.com.au
Wed Apr 20 01:13:39 UTC 2011

On 18/04/2011 5:21 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 04/18/2011 10:16 AM, Paul Whitfield wrote:

>>> Are you trying to express you can reproduce your issue on PC?
>>>
>>> I just tried, but I can't reproduce it.
>>>
>>> Ralf
>>
>> Sorry I was unclear. No I can NOT reproduce the problem on the PC.
> OK.
>
>> I have done some more investigation ...
>>
>> PLEASE NOTE:
>> I did NOT build gcc / newlib from source.
>>
>> I am using the pre-compiled version from
>> ftp://ftp.rtems.org//pub/rtems/mingw32/4.10/
>> and it is behaving the same way as the code I am compiling here.
>>
>> I did some searching and found a similar symptom to what I have
>> been seeing.
>>
>> It seems to be the strstr code is breaking because it expects the value
>> of the macro SIZE_MAX to be the maximum value of a size_t variable
>> however it appears that using the standard RTEMS include files,
>> SIZE_MAX is actually 32.
>>
> You are right on the spot. SIZE_MAX is wrong.
>
>> Is something broken about how newlib has been built?
> Not quite.
>
> It's a bug in our stdint.h which gets exposed when using newlib with
> gcc-4.4.x. It does not get exposed with newer gccs (e.g. rtems4.11),
> because the preprocessor takes a different path, then.
>
> I'll further investigate and try to come up with a fix. - I recall us
> having had this issue before and thought I had fixed it. Apparently not ;)
>
> Ralf

Hi Ralf / All,

Would it be helpful if I raised a bug report for this ?

--
Regards

Paul Whitfield
Software Engineer

27 Sarich Court, Osborne Park
Perth WA 6017
P:  +61 8 9445 2633
F:  +61 8 9445 1687
I: www.omnitronics.com.au <http://www.omnitronics.com.au>

This message and any attachment are confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender and delete the
message and any attachment from your system. If you are not the intended
recipient you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the
contents to any other person.

--
Message  protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content filtering.http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg