Is Ubuntu now supported?

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Aug 16 14:59:21 UTC 2011

On 08/16/2011 04:30 PM, Steven Grunza wrote:
> I just noticed
> ftp://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/linux/4.11/ubuntu/dists/natty/rtems4.11/
> on the RTEMS site.  Is Ubuntu going to be supported
Probably.

> going forward or is
> this a one-time deal?
What you see on the server is the result of an attempt to add
Ubuntu/Debian toolchain packages. The plan is to integrate building them
into my normal toolchain building process.

However, so far, this attempt has stalled for various reasons, some of
them being technical and some of them being personal (Primarily lack of
time - Me being busy with other topics and holidays interferring).

> The Wiki page at http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/APT/Yum_Repository
> mentions the rtems-BRANCH-apt-conf-VERSION-DISTRIBUTION.noarch.rpm which
> doesn't seem to exist.

The page you are referring to is referring to apt-rpm support (apt on
rpm based distros). It has been abandoned for most of the newer RTEMS
toolchain yum repositories, but is still around for some older
distros/repos.

> The Wiki page at  http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/Debian_and_Ubuntu
> mentions using the alien package to convert the RedHat .rpm files into
> debian packages.
It's still the recommended way to get the toolchains on Ubuntu.

> Seems like there are now (sort of) three ways to get RTEMS packages into
> a Ubuntu system.I've Google'd around looking for details about RTEMS
> on Ubuntu; if I missed something please point me to it.
Well, so far, the Ubuntu/Debian repos have been deliberately "unannounced".

Consider them to be non-existing until announced ;)

Ralf