EL6 RPMs for Fedora 14 Issue

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Dec 22 11:49:42 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 12:21 PM, Peter Dufault wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2011, at 4:43 , Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> All in all, in longer terms, I fear the only applicable approach is to
>> stop providing legacy packages and to cut off discontinued distros the
>> hard way.

> I've decided that since real work schedules are likely to get in the way of upgrading Fedora that my build environment will be RHEL (or CENTOS) together with EPEL on a virtual machine.
Your choice, your poison - Should not be much of a problem for you.

With Fedora, you are having the issue of frequent updates and the issue
of being forced to continuously adopt yourselves to changes.
With CentOS, you'll be facing the issues of outdating SW.

So far you only did not see them, because I have been doing the
groundwork in the background, trying to keep the impact on end-users
low. I could easily stop doing so and you'd end up nowhere with CentOS ;)

> I think there was a sort of reference RTEMS development environment based on Fedora.
Correct - Fedora.

>  I suggest future ones be based on CENTOS and EPEL.
CentOS is a server distro, which is aiming at "long term API stability".
In general, it's a good choice to run a web-server or a data base server
on it, but is a bad choice for development purposes.

Ralf