Exporting functions back

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Dec 29 17:38:58 UTC 2011

On 12/29/2011 03:56 PM, Sébastien Bourdeauducq wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ralf recently made some functions static, which causes some problems.
> As far as we are concerned, they are:
> * bootp_strdup_realloc - used in the DHCP client. This means DHCP
> cannot be used at all at the moment.
> * rtems_shell_init_env - we use it with the telnet server to make the
> shell environment reentrant (we modify the login function).
> * rtems_shell_main_mv - there is no standard API for automatically
> moving files and directories recursively and/or across filesystems.
> Most UNIX applications use system() for this purpose instead of
> painfully reinventing the wheel, which is more or less the equivalent
> of calling rtems_shell_main_mv in RTEMS.

Well, so far, these function did not have public prototypes.
I.e. using them qualifies as API violation and "dirty coding".

> Can we get those functions exported again?

I don't have any problems in making these public (... should RTEMS VCS
ever come up again ...).

> (and even better, with
> RTEMS-specific header files
ACK, this would be the way to go ...

> so we do not have to re define the
> prototypes ourselves)
... and this is before mentioned API violation ;)

Ralf