TCP issue with large packet under RTEMS

João Rasta freakforever at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 18:06:13 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I implemented Yann's sugestion and it seemed to take a lot of time to
return. So i profiled the recv() routine with the MSG_WAITALL flag and
returned 5.70 seconds! With Eric's sugestion, the whole data is read in 0.60
seconds. This is odd, i would expect that, since apparently there are more
system calls with Eric's method, recv() would be faster.

Any idea why this is happening?

Moreover, i'm transferring 436160*8 = 3489280 bits, so i would expect the
total data read to happen in 3489280/10485760 = 0.33 seconds, given that i
have a 10Mbit ethernet configuration. I don't think context switching for a
couple of system calls is that heavy, what can be causing the 0.27 second
overhead with Eric's solution?

Best,
JM