RFC: powerpc-multilibs: remove -mcpu=601 and -Dmpc8260 multilibs

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 21 17:35:52 UTC 2011

I don't know who made that (IMHO a bit unfortunate) change.
The BSP should IMO use -D__ppc_generic -msoft-float.

All BSPs that use a classic PPC should get away with
-D__ppc_generic with or w/o -msoft-float, depending
on whether the CPU has or doesn't have a FPU.
If the CPU has AltiVec then -maltivec, -mabi=altivec
should be added. I.e., for classic PPCs only three
multilibs are really needed:

generic PPC instructions with FPU
generic PPC instructions with FPU and ALtiVec
generic PPC instructions w/o FPU and w/o AltiVec

For booke-type CPUs another (or multiple other) multilib(s)
(than the generic PPC one) is/are necessary.

T.