Problem building tools for 4.10 on F12 system

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Feb 10 04:11:23 UTC 2011

On 02/09/2011 11:27 PM, Peter Dufault wrote:
> I'm building the tools using a 4.10.0 CVS fetch and the files in ftp://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/SOURCES/4.10 on an up-to-date Fedora 12 system.  I'm basing this on the web page http://wiki.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/Building_Tool_RPM_Packages as well as notes I kept when I last did this last April.  This is to build a multilib with SPE support, I haven't gotten that far yet, I'm just trying to reproduce what's shipped.
>
> The problem is that GMP doesn't configure properly without a bit of magic I don't understand.
>
> The first sign that there was going to be a problem was when I went to "rpmbuild" gcc:
> ====
> rpmbuild -ba rtems-4.10-powerpc-rtems4.10-gcc.spec --target=1686-pc-linux-gnu
> Building target platforms: 1686-pc-linux-gnu
> Building for target 1686-pc-linux-gnu
> sh: line 0: fg: no job control
> error: File /opt/rtems/src/SOURCES/gmp-4.3.2.tar.bz2: No such file or directory
> ====
>
> 1. I don't know where that "no job control" message is coming from.  Running "sh" by itself doesn't give that warning.  I can't find "fg" in any of my .rc files (I use bash).
> 2. Why do I need to download gmp if it wasn't on the RTEMS FTP site?  Is that something that's missing?  Is F12 too old?
It's the last part of the sentence.

(With my Fedora hat on) F12 was discontinued by upstream Fedora => F12
does not receive any updates anymore and means exposing yourself to
significant security risks. You should upgrade to a more recent Fedora
(F13 or F14).

(With my RTEMS hat on) As a consequence of this, support for F12 was
removed from the RTEMS rpm.specs. This means, the conditionals inside of
the spec, when building for F12 now expand to different settings than
they used to, driving the build-process into an untested (and probably
dysfunctional) path.

That said, there are several possibilities you could apply:
a) Upgrade to a more recent Fedora.
b) Build your modified rpm.spec in a CentOS5 mock environment.
The result would be a CentOS5 package, you could use on F12.
c) You to restore F12 support in your rpm spec (Diff the most recent
*.spec against your older *.spec and re-add the lines referring to
"%{?fc12}"; Alternatively: Walk through the specs history in RTEMS CVS)

I strongly recommend choosing a) - It's the only clean solution of these
alternatives.

Ralf