How to get rtems-4.10 GDB working with BDM on Windows

Paul Whitfield paulw at omnitronics.com.au
Thu Jan 20 05:41:39 UTC 2011

Hello All,

This is a quick email with the list of "extra" steps I needed to do
to get rtems 4.10 gdb working on Windows (MSYS / not using cygwin).

They consisted of 2 things to fix / add.

1) the m68k-rtems4.10-gdb requires expat and readline libraries
2) build and install bdm-tools so that I can using a Coldfire
BDM debug module.

Step 1: RTEMS 4.10 development Environment.

Downloaded all software as per the wiki.
All working nicely, successfully built rtems as multi-lib

Kudos to Chris and Ralf, it is now very easy to
get the up and running with a new version of the
development tools .

Step 2: Missing Expat and readline

expat: Downloaded the source, built in msys ( configure && make install)
readline: Downloaded the version from gnuwin32

That gets gdb to run.

Step 3:
Then go to http://bdm.sourceforge.net

Download and built bdm based on m68k-bdm-1.4-pre4.
This also requires usblib. Downloaded that from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/files/libusb-win32-releases/

The configure step I used to build bdm stuff,
../m68k-bdm-1.4-pre/configure --target=m68k-elf --with-usb-dir
/c/Download/libusb-win32

The configure step only worked if the path to libusb was an
absolute path.

Then once everything was installed into my path

"It just works".

Best regards

Paul

--
Regards

Paul Whitfield
Software Engineer

27 Sarich Court, Osborne Park
Perth WA 6017
P:  +61 8 9445 2633
F:  +61 8 9445 1687
I: www.omnitronics.com.au <http://www.omnitronics.com.au>

This message and any attachment are confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender and delete the
message and any attachment from your system. If you are not the intended
recipient you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the
contents to any other person.

--
Message  protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content filtering.http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg