[GSOC]Progress Report of MMU support project

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Tue Jul 12 10:44:38 UTC 2011

On Jul 12, 2011, at 5:55 , Aanjhan R wrote:

> Having worked on this project 2 yrs back, I am happy to see it
> progress through to this stage [which Joel and Thomas would agree on
> the ambitious quotient level of the proposal]. However, as I mentioned
> in the proposal review, it would be very helpful to the community if
> you can start thinking on slowly [in small parts] try to integrate
> "relevant" code into the trunk. Its not trivial and a solid "start" to
> this project would be when the first few bits go into the source
> control.

I think that if Quanming can get it to the point that

1. There's a clean abstraction for differing hardware  (Quanming, the discussions we've had about that should also go onto your Wiki);
2. (I haven't discussed this with Quanming yet) The interface described in posix_typed_mem_open() either is present or is trivially implementable

then the interface will be useful for simple uses such as creating a private per-task memory block, etc. and would be a good candidate to go into the source tree.

Peter