Example Application Compiling

Abhijit Nandy abhijit.nandy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 23:49:24 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have been trying to compile the example applications as given here :

http://wiki.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/Example_Application_Compiling

After I run in the current directory (/home/abhi), the following commands :

cd rtems
export PATH=/opt/rtems-4.11/bin:$PATH
./bootstrap
cd ..
mkdir pc586
cd pc586
../rtems/configure --target=i386-rtems4.11 --enable-rtemsbsp=pc586 \
  --enable-tests=samples --disable-posix --disable-itron \
  --prefix=`pwd`
make

I don’t get any directory like
${HOME}/WHERE_AM_I_BUILDING/pc586/i386-rtems4.10/c/pc586/testsuites/samples
where the compiled samples are placed.
I am expecting the samples directory to be in :
/home/abhi/pc586/i386-rtems4.10/c/pc586/testsuites/samples

All the previous steps right upto the end of the quick start page have
finished perfectly. I am on Fedora 15 on Virtual box.

Also I am a bit confused about how the programs meant for sparc are being
run using GDB .
Does the sparc-gdb program include a simulator for the sparc processor ?
There is a rtems-4.11 folder in /opt/
Is this the RTEMS simulator for sparc ?
When the wiki says build tree, does it refer to the source code folder
checked out from CVS at /home/abhi/rtems which has folders like automake, c,
contrib, CVS etc ?

Sorry for lots of questions, but I am a bit confused at the moment as to
what goes where.

I thought RTEMS would compile into a bootable image that would run in a
virtual machine like qemu, like linux does.

Thanks,
Abhijit