ACM and IEEE Advanced Member Ranks

Gedare Bloom gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu
Mon Jul 18 19:48:47 UTC 2011

Most publishers (including ACM and IEEE) allow an author to post a
digital version of published material on a personal web site and to
disseminate work freely for non-commercial or private uses.

As non-profit orgs, they both redistribute their revenue back to their
respective members through online resources, student competitions and
scholarships, and conference sponsorship. The ACM redistributes much
of its proceeds from publications back to the special interest groups
that sponsored the work, which then put that money toward the costs of
conferences and future publications. IEEE does more with journals, but
still sponsors many conferences and workshops.  Sponsoring conferences
reduces attendance fees for both authors and participants, ultimately
improving the org's community.

These organizations exist and collect money to promote societal
benefits for its members, including wider dissemination of higher
quality research.