Increasing IMFS_NAME_MAX value

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Jun 21 00:44:37 UTC 2011

On 20/06/11 9:19 PM, Sebastien Bourdeauducq wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the file cpukit/libfs/src/imfs/imfs.h currently defines IMFS_NAME_MAX as
> 32. While this is fine for the system files that normally reside on the
> IMFS, the architecture of the RTEMS filesystem, on top of its numerous
> other flaws,

This is documented in bugzilla and we would welcome support from the
community to get this resolved.

> implies that this limit also affects the files at the root
> of filesystems mounted on the IMFS. This is a serious issue on modern
> devices where the user can typically mount a SD card with long filenames
> on it.

Are you talking about PR1774 or is it something else ?

  https://www.rtems.org/pr1774

This is fixed on the 4.10 branch and head. I see there is also
https://rtems.org/pr1286 where you commented. I think this PR is the
same issue as PR1774.

> Would it be possible to define this value to 128 to make the problem
> less visible?

I would say without knowing the exact detail of the problem this is a
bug. Extending IMFS to match any file system it mounts is broken. IMFS
has to let the mounted file system determine a valid length.

> The drawback is that IMFS will use more memory, as a buffer of size
> IMFS_NAME_MAX is allocated in the nodes. If this is a problem on some
> BSPs, can we make it configurable on a per-BSP basis?

Lets see what the problem is first.

Chris