RTEMS coverage

Wed Mar 9 16:14:09 UTC 2011

Hi,

As Aitor has mentioned, he got gcov to work with RTEMS.
But that is not how the coverage results published
at http://www.rtems.org/ftp/pub/rtems/people/joel/coverage
are generated.

We use tools in the rtems-testing CVS module in conjunction
with simulators which produce either instruction traces or
bitmap coverage information.  With this input, the tools
can report which instructions are not executed and, if the
simulator information gathered allows it, branches which
were only taken or not taken.  There is information now
coverage available on these BSPs.

     * arm/edb7312
     * arm/gumstix
     * arm/smdk2410
     * i386/pc386
     * lm32/lm32_evr
     * m68k/uC5282
     * powerpc/qemuppc
     * sparc/erc32
     * sparc/leon2
     * sparc/leon3

Releases 4.10.0, 4.9.4, and 4.9.5 have coverage reports
for various BSPs as part of the release package.

http://www.rtems.com/moodle/file.php/15/CoverageAnalysis-FSW09.pdf
has a summary of the coverage state of the various branches when
that presentation was made.

I am pretty sure I have subsequently gathered data back as far
as 4.5.  The tools in rtems-testing can be used to do this BUT
we have only used tsim with sparc BSPs on older versions.

Setting up the old versions on modern OSes can be tricky.
You will have to look in the config.log and see what it is
specifically not finding.  Sometimes you have to manually
install compatibility or old RPMs.

I would be happy to do this as a consulting service for
a specific set of methods.  But I suspect based upon
the domain that you are a student.  Right?

--joel