RES: Possible confdefs error when calculating workspace size

Mon Mar 14 18:50:17 UTC 2011

On 03/14/2011 01:44 PM, Fabrício de Novaes Kucinskis wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> Your assumption was right: I didn't defined CONFIGURE_MESSAGE_BUFFER_MEMORY,
> basically because it wasn't necessary for my applications to run ok. Now I'm
> curious: what was the amount of 'extra' memory allocated by previous
> versions of confdefs?

I don't really recall but it was on the order of 10K.  I fine-tuned
all the estimates and reworked a lot of the confdefs.h macros
to be easier to validate.

FWIW that was all done as part of TinyRTEMS.  Unnecessary
over allocation lead to more workspace than was needed.
> But I bet more people like me, due to the overestimation made by previous
> versions, never configured adequately the message buffer memory and will
> start having problems with it now.

A few tests broke because of this.
> To be honest, I've never noticed the CONFIGURE_MESSAGE_BUFFER_MEMORY macro.
> Wouldn't be a good idea to point to it on the RTEMS User's Manual, item
> 10.4.1, 'Description'? I suggest a little change, something like: "...
> Memory is allocated from the RTEMS Workspace for the specified count of
> messages, each of max_message_size bytes in length (see the
> CONFIGURE_MESSAGE_BUFFER_MEMORY configuration parameter on item 23.2.2)."

If you don't mind, please file a PR on this so it won't slip through.

Honestly, the two macros weren't always around.  I am thinking that
neither pre-dates 4.8.

--joel