Which flavor of Linux for RTEMS S/W developemnt ( was Re: MVME5500 Tester Needed for 4.10)

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Mar 16 16:29:04 UTC 2011

On 03/16/2011 04:51 PM, Eric Valette wrote:
> On 03/16/2011 04:38 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> I actually has to give up on RHEL and choose between
>>> Ubuntu 10.04 and OpenSUSE 11.0.
>> This is a choice between "cancer or pest" - Neither can be recommended.
>>
>> openSUSE 11.0 has been discontinued in July 2010 and is dead.
>>
>> Ubuntu 10.4 is not supported by us and would definitely not be my choice.
>
> You should considere distribution useage rather than your taste...
Well, popularity of a distro, quality of a distro and suitabilty of a
distro for certain purposes doesn't necessarily go hand in hand.

That said, I consider Debian and RHEL to be well suited for server usage
but them to be hardly suitable for development purposes because of their
overly extensive release cycles.

Ubuntu, openSUSE and Fedora are more suiteable for desktop usage.

Also let me emphasize that the fact we are not supporting Ubuntu and
Debian is not a matter of personal preference, but has technical reasons.

Totally independent of this is my personal opinion on Ubuntu.

 > [distrowatch]
We all know about distrowatch's credibility and how the can be forged.

That said, come over to Germany and have a look at which distros people
are using: SUSE and Ubuntu, anything else hardly measurable.
Fedora and Debian is for geeks.

Ralf