New Fedora 14 VM Images with RTEMS Development Environment

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Mar 9 17:08:24 UTC 2011

On 03/09/2011 05:37 PM, Sebastien Bourdeauducq wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 09:56 -0600, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> + Fedora 14 with the RTEMS 4.10 Development Environment
>> + Fedora 14 with the RTEMS 4.11 Development Environment
>
> By the way, why not put the RTEMS packages straight into Free Electronic
> Lab?
These guys are more after hardware development than embedded systems or
OSes.

> They're quite friendly towards hardware/embedded development, see
> http://spins.fedoraproject.org/fel/
> and in particular slide 9 of:
> http://chitlesh.fedorapeople.org/papers/fel-flyer-f12.pdf
Do you think this project is still alive and prospering?
 From what I observe in Fedora[1], this project seems more dead[2] than
alive and not prospering anymore.

> Being upstream Fedora would also give RTEMS greater exposure and user
> base.
Good joke ;)

I repeatedly tried to add the RTEMS rpms into Fedora, but was facing
"silence" - Seemingly RTEMS is too much of an exotic niche to raise
interest for a maintstream distribution.

Ralf

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Committee
[2] Many of the packages they introduced to Fedora are not of the best
quality and not necessarily well maintained - I repeatedly found myself
urged to use my "Fedora superpowers" in troubleshoting these packages.