New Fedora 14 VM Images with RTEMS Development Environment

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Mar 10 15:25:02 UTC 2011

On 03/10/2011 04:04 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On 03/10/2011 07:25 AM, Sebastien Bourdeauducq wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for the quick reply! I though this licensing issue was resolved.
>>
>> On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 18:46 +0530, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
>>> The reply from Red Hat legal on the licensing is at:
>>>
>>> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/legal/2010-October/001401.html
>> So, anything using newlib cannot be accepted into Fedora due to
>> licensing issues?
Putting it this way it not true.

Read again the cited link again:

"Also noteworthy would be that if the non-free components
were removed/replaced/relicensed, the result would still be unacceptable
to Fedora because of the GPL-incompatible + GPLv2+ combination."

The GPL/GPLv2+ parts are the linux parts (and unused by RTEMS). the non
free parts would have to be inspected if they are used by RTEMS.
(AFAICT, none of them are)

> That's funny... cygwin-1.7.8-1.fc14.noarch.rpm is available
Where did you get this from? Would be news to me, Fedora shipped cygwin.

> which has newlib in it.

>>> Someone from LatticeMico32 or their support dealers in Bengaluru,
>>> India contacted me regarding the toolchain, but, he didn't understand
>>> anything about Fedora, free/open source to understand about the
>>> licensing problem.
Nothing unusual, ...

Ralf