GSOC2011 project RTEMS HyperVisor

张文杰 157724595 at 163.com
Sun Mar 20 13:57:10 UTC 2011

Sorry for forgetting add the reference link.
[1]. http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/RTEMSHyperVisor
[2]. http://air.di.fc.ul.pt/air/?Home
[3].http://www.xtratum.org/
[4]. http://www.helenos.org/

At 2011-03-20 21:50:39,"张文杰" <157724595 at 163.com> wrote:
Hi, all:
I am a student who is preparing for participating the GSOC2011 RTEMS. My interested project isRTEMS HyperVisor [1]. This
project ‘s ultimate goal is to make RTEMS support to run multiple operating systems(like Linux or uclinux) and meantime RTEMS can be
adapted to fullfill the requirements defined in the ARINC 653 standard. So the project is divided into two milestone tasks: 1) add a HyperVisor to RTEMS. the design of HyperVisor is compatible with ARINC 653 standard. 2). implement ARINC 653 interface in
RTEMS which can reference the a ESA project named AIR[2].
Hypervisor, also called virtual machine monitor (VMM), is one of  virtualization techniqueswhich allow multiple operating systems.
For embedded systems it must have real-time capability. And there is also a challenge to the resource-constrained embedded
systems, becausesupport for virtualization requiresmemory protection (in the form of a memory management unit or at least a
memory protection unit) and a distinction between user mode and privileged mode, which rules out many microcontrollers. About the implement of HyperVisor for RTEMS there are two projects we can reference. First is project XtratuM [3] which is a small
native (bare-metal) hypervisor, now the RTEMS has been ported to XtratuM run as a guest OS and its design use ARINC 653 as
a reference although ARINC-653 is not directly applicable to the hypervisor systems. Another project is HelenOS operating
system [4] which is designed as a relatively small microkernel assisted with a set of userspace drivers and server tasks, Its kernel
is a good reference candidate for the design of Hypervisor.
This is just my initial thoughts, if there is any inappropriate please point out.Do not hesitate to add your comments.

Wenjie Zhang
Best Regards