Willing to join GSoC2011 project "RTEMS port of the GNU Java Compiler (gjc)"

Mon Mar 28 13:41:19 UTC 2011

On 03/19/2011 09:17 PM, 刘杰 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As said in the last mail "question about GSoC 2011", this week should
> discuss application ideas with mentoring organizations. I want to port
> the GNU Java Compiler to RTEMS and have read the page
> "http://www.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/GNUJavaCompiler" carefully. But
> "how to file Free Software Foundation paperwork" is still a question
> to me.

Sorry for the delay. I really don't have an excuse.

The FSF paperwork is required to submit code to the Free Software
Foundation.
I will email you off list and the clerk at the FSF so we can get this
moving.
> Also, I have completed the GSoC Getting Started of RTEMS
> "http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/GSoC_Getting_Started", and want
> to ask how to submit the diff and screen capture.

You can email me the diff and screen capture directly. Then add yourself to

http://wiki.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/RTEMSSummerOfCode#Students_Proposals
> Now, how can I get more information about porting GJC to RTEMS except
> the Wiki page "http://www.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/GNUJavaCompiler"
> and the GCJ page "http://gcc.gnu.org/java/", I want to know more and
> more about it. :)
>
>From my experience in looking at this, the first hurdle is going to be
getting
boehm-gc working on RTEMS. boehm-gc supports a number of architectures
but has
to be tailored to the OS environment. You will have to pick one architecture
(probably x86) to do the initial port to. On this first target architecture,
you will need to get far enough to get decent test results. Then we try to
repeat on the other architectures boehm-gc supports (and you fix porting
issues
in it)

This means building and testing gcc. There are scripts in rtems-testing/
which are used to test C, C++, Ada, and (preliminary) Objective-C on RTEMS.
You will be augmenting those scripts and then fixing whatever is
required in
gcc to make GCJ work.

This is similar to the GSoC project last year which ported Go to RTEMS. The
student who did that make a list of known issues that had to be addressed.
I will ask him if he is in a position to provide advice.

Start writing the proposal and ask questions.