Create one pen drive to boot an example program hello.exe

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Fri May 6 16:23:44 UTC 2011

I usually have no problems with rtems on qemu.
The VGA console 'just works'. AFAIK you only
have to perform extra steps if you want so use
a serial console.

I just tried the following:

1) download the grub boot floppy-image from here:
http://www.rtems.org/ftp/pub/rtems/people/chrisj/grub/rtems-boot.img

2) launch qemu to boot a vanilla-built RTEMS 'hello.exe', i.e.,
    when configuring RTEMS no special configure variables were set
    to use a serial console.

qemu -m 128 -boot a -fda /tmp/rtems-boot.img \
      -hda fat:/opt/rtems-4.10/src/rtems/build-vi386-rtems/\
               i386-rtems/c/pc586-sse/testsuites/samples/hello/\
      -no-reboot

And - boom, qemu comes up showing a grub prompt. At the grub
prompt I enter:

grub> multiboot (hd0,1)/hello.exe
grub> boot

RTEMS then comes up and executes 'hello.exe' The qemu
console window looks like this:

Initialized console on port CONSOLE

*** HELLO WORLD TEST ***
Hello World
*** END OF HELLO WORLD TEST ***

EXECUTIVE SHUTDOWN! Any key to reboot...

HTH
-- Till