Ada support in current RTEMS versions ?

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed May 25 15:21:38 UTC 2011

On 05/25/2011 03:40 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On 05/25/2011 08:18 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> [1] This does not apply to other languages in GCC (Comprising go,
>>> fortran, objc and c++)
> Right.  But you do have to build RTEMS and install it to
> build objc and go.
No. For building go, installing newlib and the rtems-headers is sufficient.

I haven't tried building fortran or objc for RTEMS for years.
Similar to Ada (Which I know has this problem), Fortran can be expected
to have issues with fixed-size types on "exotic targets".

> But Ada is the only GNU language implemented in its own
> language.  The others are in C or C++ with support libraries
> usually in the target language.  But the front end is C/C++.

Again, the issue with Ada is: On Linuxes with "insufficient GCC",
building an Ada-enabled cross-c/c++/fortran/objc/java GCC requires to
replace the native "c/c++/fortran/objc/java/Ada"-enabled GCC when
building it - It's up to the beholder to draw his own conclusions.

Ralf