Ada support in current RTEMS versions ?

Wed May 25 13:40:29 UTC 2011

On 05/25/2011 08:18 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 05/25/2011 02:59 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> [snip]

>>> Definitely agree there.  Don't jump to the head for this unless
>>> something forces you to. A couple of cases I know where you
>>> would end up on the head are for a new CPU model which is only
>>> supported on the head, you might have to use the head.
>>> You require a feature which is only supported on the head.
>>>
>>> Hopefully neither apply.
>> No, they don't and thanks for the detailed reply. Given Ada's problems
>> with gcc at various points over the years, I just wanted to make sure
>> there wasn't a new fundamental problem with Ada I wasn't aware of.
> The fundamental issue with Ada is building Ada-crosstool chains require
> a "sufficiently recent" (usually the same version) native gnat (== gcc
> with Ada support).

The official "party line" is that you should be able to build
GNAT X with GNAT X-1 when native.

For cross, it should be native GNAT == cross GNAT.
> This works (and likely is the reason why Joel is not seeing this,
> because his environment is "recent enough") when you're using a
> sufficiently recent host environment.

FWIW I always build a native compiler first and use that
for testing purposes even when not building Ada or Go.
Just trying to help shake bugs out.  I would hate to find out
the latest GCC version can't compile itself cross. :)
> If you are using an older distribution, building gnat-cross-toolchains
> requires you to replace your native GCC as part of building cross-GCC [1]
>
> Ralf
>
> [1] This does not apply to other languages in GCC (Comprising go,
> fortran, objc and c++)
Right.  But you do have to build RTEMS and install it to
build objc and go.  I don't think the Fortran libraries get
far enough above the c library to need anything network
or threads related.

The more abstract and higher level the language, the more
likely the run-time is to need RTEMS installed to build.

But Ada is the only GNU language implemented in its own
language.  The others are in C or C++ with support libraries
usually in the target language.  But the front end is C/C++.