RTEMS developers list (rtems-devel)

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Nov 7 19:13:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Ralf Corsepius <ralf.corsepius at rtems.org> wrote:
> On 11/06/2011 10:33 PM, Thomas Doerfler (nt) wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> these are a lot of lists for the (relatively) low traffic ;-) But
>> nevertheless splitting the "rtems-users" list into two may make sense,
>> simply to allow sorting mail traffic into different categories.
>
> I do not see much sense in a *-devel and a *-users list split.
>
>> What should not happen is that the RTEMS community is split into
>> "users" and "developers".
>
> Exactly.

I don't think about adding an rtems-devel list as splitting the
community. rtems-users is and should remain the "first contact" and
primary communication path for all users and should be about helping
people get their RTEMS projects working. rtems-devel would be a place
for experienced users and developers to discuss and plan development
activities, including premature and preliminary design decisions that
do not belong on the rtems-users list; We currently have no such
place.

>> In the past I have seen many people starting
>> as "users" step by step became "developers" since they needed new
>> functionality for their projects. So we should make sure to encourage
>> new users also to register for the "rtems-devel" mailing list.
>
> What we need instead, is an "rtems-patches" list, where prospective
> contributors can submit proposals and people with VCS write-permission can
> review contributions.

The rtems-devel subsumes such a list and with it we don't need an rtems-patches.