RTEMS developers list (rtems-devel)

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Nov 7 17:48:00 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Thomas Doerfler (nt)
<Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> these are a lot of lists for the (relatively) low traffic ;-) But
> nevertheless splitting the "rtems-users" list into two may make sense,
> simply to allow sorting mail traffic into different categories.
>
> What should not happen is that the RTEMS community is split into
> "users" and "developers". In the past I have seen many people starting
> as "users" step by step became "developers" since they needed new
> functionality for their projects. So we should make sure to encourage
> new users also to register for the "rtems-devel" mailing list.

Great point, and ideally as users become developers they will
naturally migrate to the devel mailing list. As Chris said, anyone who
wants to join the devel list would be welcome to do so.

One point of the devel list is to foster centralized
development-oriented discussions. Right now these discussions happen
on IRC, on the rtems-vc list, within bugzilla, on rtems-users, or by
direct email. We should be having as many of these conversations in
front of as many eyes as possible: For users who are interested in
development discussions and the "bleeding edge" of RTEMS---but cannot
follow the bugzilla, vc list, or IRC---rtems-devel may actually
improve user-developer interactions.

The social ramifications are not entirely clear, but I think that
giving our overlapping communities (the users and developers) their
"own" primary communication path will lower the barrier to entry into
either community.

-Gedare