Replacing or disabling "printf" calls

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Mon Oct 17 12:31:21 UTC 2011

On 10/17/2011 02:12 PM, Rafael Morales wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We are working in a space project using RTEMS and we are worried about
> program sizes.
>
> Reviewing the map file of a sample program using MIL-STD-1553B and
> spacewire driver, we have found :
>
> 9460 bytes used by lib_a-vfprinft.o
> 9192 bytes used by lib_a-svfprintf.o
>

> Almost 18KB for printing it a lot!
This actually is very little!

> We are not using "printf" in main program, but we have found it in the
> source file of MIL-STD-1553B and spacewire driver.
> Those drivers was originally compiled with RTEMS and are linked with the
> main program in any compilation.
Are these source files part of the RTEMS source tree?

If yes, which files are you referring to?
If no, ... c.f. below.

> Can any one help us to replace or disable that "printf" calls?
The only option to get rid of printf is to replace all references to it
from all code you are using.

In most cases, this is hardly possible without fundamentally breaking
the code.

Ralf