Where is sys/ioctl.h supposed to come from?

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Tue Oct 11 13:21:38 UTC 2011

On Oct 11, 2011, at 9:04 , Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Right.
>
> It actually is in cpukit/libcsupport/include/sys/ioctl.h and being built
> per-cpukit and installed during "make install"

I had since tracked that down.  At least for the BSPS I've got all the files are the same in the different BSPs include/sys.  I assume there are situations where they are different.

>> For example, for the 4.11 I've got:
>>
>> [dufault at finny12 tmp]$ find /opt/rtems-4.11/ -name ioctl.h -print
>> /opt/rtems-4.11/powerpc-rtems4.11/beatnik/lib/include/sys/ioctl.h
>> /opt/rtems-4.11/powerpc-rtems4.11/phycore_mpc5554/lib/include/sys/ioctl.h
>> [dufault at finny12 tmp]$
>>
>> What step have I been missing all these years?
>
> sys/ioctl.h is a non-standardized file, portable source code must not
> rely upon (It actually is a BSD file).

I didn't realize that, the Linux man page has "#include <sys/ioctl.h>" at the top.  I'm trying to build someone else's code, I guess I've never included it myself directly, or when I did it was in the context of a make with BSP includes in scope.

Peter