TCP issue

Martin Kocian kocian at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Sep 14 04:30:31 UTC 2011

Hi Joel,

Thank you for the suggestion. I had a look at newer versions of FreeBSD.
tcp_output.c has evolved quite a bit but I think the same situation could
in principle still happen. The only thing that could prevent it is that
the congestion window after an idle period is now set up by a
configurable congestion algorithm module so it depends on the choice of
algorithm. In the New Reno algorithm, for example, the initial window size
is at least 2 * t_maxseg which means my second send would not hang
because len would be set to t_maxseg and send would immediately be called.
I'm not sure I would suggest initializing cwnd as 2 * t_maxseg as a
bugfix, though, because the BSD code has changed so much that I would be
worried that a selective update like that could be incompatible with the
old version of the code (also New Reno really intializes to 2*t_maxseg or
cwnd before the idle period, whichever is smaller).

Thanks,

Martin