Fours Days Until RTEMS Reaches Mars

Joel Sherrill Joel.Sherrill at OARcorp.com
Thu Aug 2 14:25:34 UTC 2012

ESA has been slower updating. I think their latest validated version is based on 4.8.x.

More recent NASA missions are using newer versions with MMS testing 4.10.

The Electra radio circling Mars is old and was initially developed on 4.0.x as I recall from a
published paper. I don't know what they ended up using on the one circling Mars.
I think they updated to something newer on later models. But I don't know the details.

We need a JPL person to comment... hint.. hint. :)

--joel
From: rtems-users-bounces at rtems.org [rtems-users-bounces at rtems.org] On Behalf Of Zandin Johan RUAG N [Johan.Zandin at ruag.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 9:25 AM
To: rtems-users at rtems.org
Subject: RE: Fours Days Until RTEMS Reaches Mars

Steven Grunza wrote:
>My thought is that if someone was looking for the
>most stable and reliable [version / hw / cpu] combination I
>would try to match what is/has been sent on inter-planetary journeys.

Good thought!

As you can see on http://wiki.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/Herschel_%26_Planck
Herschel and Planck use RTEMS 4.5.0 (with patches applied).

Several ESA missions launched more recently, soon to be launched or still
in development (e.g. Galileo, GAIA, Sentinel-2 and Solar Orbiter) use
RTEMS 4.6.1, 4.6.2 or 4.6.6 (with patches applied and sometimes with
unused code stripped away).

Those versions are rather old by now. But they are usually thoroughly
analysed and tested by ESA or its subcontractors. So most of their bugs
should be found by now. Just make sure to apply the corresponding patches!

Best regards
Johan Zandin