ARINC-653 API

Fri Aug 3 21:30:35 UTC 2012

On 08/03/2012 04:21 PM, Cláudio Silva wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Mathew Benson<mathew.benson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> First, I don't know what POK is.  Can you post a link to some info?
>>
> http://pok.safety-critical.net/
>
> Hopefully, soon with RTEMS support on i386. ;)
>
>> Second, I thought RTEMS was an RTOS.  In my experience the OS doesn't run "in partitions".  The partition is similar to a heavyweight thread or POSIX process with a two layer scheduler to provide the time partitioning.  The ARINC "process" is similar to a lightweight thread or POSIX thread.  The APEX library provides the ARINC API, but the OS provides the partitioning.
> Yes but you can implement an ARINC653 like OS using a two level
> architecture. The first level is an hypervisor which creates
> "partitions" and ensures that they are isolated in time and in space.
> In the second level, in each partition, you have an user mode
> virtualized operating system. This increases the flexibility of the
> platform because in one partition you might have one operating system
> with an ARINC 653 API and in another partition RTEMS (or even user
> mode linux).
With RTEMS on Pok, you could have either a Classic API, POSIX
threads API, or (someday) an ARINC 653 API inside a partition.
It offers a lot of API flexibility while maintaining the time and
space separation ARINC 653 is known for.

> RTEMS appears as good fit to this scheme because RTEMS is a single
> process multi threaded operating system. (i.e RTEMS only as threads
> that share the same memory space)
>
> A diagram to help you understand: http://oi45.tinypic.com/2d95qae.jpg
Nice picture. :)

> What we are aiming at with this GSOC project is the creation of a
> standard virtualization layer between RTEMS and the underlying
> hypervisor. This way you can have RTEMS on top of a number of
> hypervisors (POK, AIR, etc).
> If you then add a A653 api to RTEMS you get an A653 compliant system.
:) Part of my plan for world domination summarized. :)

--joel