ANN: microblaze-rtems4.11 toolchain

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri Aug 24 15:09:04 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Michal Simek <monstr at monstr.eu> wrote:
> [...]
>
> We have done and testing microblaze toolchain - baremetal and linux one to
> cover all problems.
> Submission will be done to mainline in future in the right time.
> Who was that requestor?
>

>>> I have tried to compiled microblaze toolchain on ubuntu 10.04 lts 64bit
>>> and 32bit and then on centos 5.5 32bit
>>> and I can't compile it.
>>>
>>> Here is my steps I have done.
>>>
>>> cd /opt/rtems-4.11/
>>> git clone git://git.rtems.org/rtems-crossrpms.git
>>> git clone git://git.rtems.org/rtems-tools.git
>>> cd rtems-tools/specbuilder/
>>

>> No idea what this is - Aparently something dysfunctional ;)
>

> good to know. :-)
>

>>> I have found this in build log.
>>>
>>> checking readline/history.h presence... yes
>>> checking for readline/history.h... yes
>>> checking readline detected... yes
>>> checking for bison... bison -y
>>> checking for flex... flex
>>> if [ x"" != x ]; then \
>>>            /usr/bin/gcc -O2 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -c
>>> -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2  -I. -I../../gcc-4.7.1/libiberty/../include  -W
>>> -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wc++-co
>>> mpat -Wstrict-prototypes -pedantic
>>> ../../gcc-4.7.1/libiberty/partition.c -o pic/partition.o; \
>>>          else true; fi
>>> /usr/bin/gcc -O2 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2
>>> -I. -I../../gcc-4.7.1/libiberty/../include  -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings
>>> -Wc++-compat -Wstr
>>> ict-prototypes -pedantic  ../../gcc-4.7.1/libiberty/partition.c -o
>>> partition.o
>>> configure: error: cannot find output from flex; giving up
>>>

>>> On my system is flex installed in version
>>> [specbuilder]$ flex --version
>>> flex 2.5.35
>>

>> Did you rerun configure after installing flex? The message above could
>> indicate you not having flex installed when running
>

> Origin flex is the part of ubuntu distribution..
>

>>> I have also upgrade flex to 2.5.37 version but the result is the same.
>>>
>>> Full log is here:
>>> www.monstr.eu/microblaze_rtems_log.tar.gz
>>>
>>> [specbuilder]$ autoconf --version
>>> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69
>>> [specbuilder]$ automake --version
>>> automake (GNU automake) 1.11.1
>>>
>>> I have also try to upgrade automake to 1.12.2 version but it didn't fix
>>> my problem either.
>>

>> Again, the versions of the autotools used by RTEMS have nothing to do with
>> the RTEMS toolchains.
>>
>> The autotools are source-code generators and are only required when a
>> source-tree does not contain the generated sources.
>>

>> The FSF trees _do_ contain the generated sources and therefore do _not_
>> require any autotools installed during ordinary builts.
>>
>> The RTEMS source-tree does require the autotools installed because Joel
>> reverted my patches to change this.
>

> Not want to look at toolchain at all - just want to start using it for mb
> port.
> But yes, good to know that autotools are not used.
>

>>> Can someone points me what I am doing wrong?

The quickest way off the ground is to use CentOS 6 or Fedora Core with
the RPMs. Instructions are available on rtems wiki [1].  Hand-crafted
scripts exist and there are instructions for building tools in Ubuntu
[2] but these instructions tend to suffer bit-rot as tools advance and
distributions fall behind the "bleeding edge".

Since you are currently uninterested in how the toolchain is produced
then the RPMs / YUM is a sensible approach. For production
environments you may want to be building from sources in which case a
tool like specbuilder can help.

[1] http://wiki.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/APT/Yum_Repository#Yum_Instructions
[2] http://wiki.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/Building_the_RTEMS_toolset_on_Ubuntu