ARINC-653 API

Cláudio Silva claudiodcsilva at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 20:22:59 UTC 2012

Hi Mathew,

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Mathew Benson <mathew.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to both RTEMS and this mailing list.  I didn't see a mailing
> list search utility so I skimmed posts going back several months and
> saw a thread on RTEMS and ARINC-653.  I'm particularly interested in
> using RTEMS for ARINC-653 applications.  I'm a professional not a
> student, but I fully embrace the open source movement both in my
> personal projects and professional projects when possible.  I
> apologize if I'm resurrecting a dead thread or duplicating a thread,
> but can I ask what the status of this effort is?

Welcome to RTEMS. ;)
The project regarding the ARINC 653 API is not yet started. We have an
on-going google summer of code project to add RTEMS as a Partition
Operating System on top of POK. The next logical step would be adding
a ARINC653 api so we can have a ARINC653 compliant operating system.

> I'm primarily just interested in running ARINC-653 partition code
> without regard to actual space and time partitioning, for now.  I
> already have a production environment.  I have a board level emulator
> that runs the unmodified binaries but its many times slower than real
> time.  I also have a Linux based simulated environment that satisfies
> the ARINC 653 API and it is capable of running faster than real time,
> but the endianness is flipped requiring an extra layer of code and
> maintenance effort.

Can i know which linux based simulator are you using?

> Phase 1:
> My first goal is to run my existing partition code, real time, without
> modifications and without byte swapping.  In parallel, I'm using qemu
> to do the same thing but I also want to find inexpensive big endian
> boards (previous post) and run my code on those.  If this were a
> personal project, I would use old PowerPC Macs, SPARCs, or whatever
> consumer electronics device I could find.  However, since this is in
> support of a professional project, I need to find something that I can
> purchase and use without hacking, though I would still entertain using
> discarded cell phones or network routers just for the coolness factor.
>  I had originally toyed with network routers, but can't find many with
> the specs that I need.  Once I have my platform, OS, and BSP, I plan
> on writing a simple ARINC 653 (part 1 only) layer on top of whichever
> OS I use (preferably RTEMS) to satisfy the APEX API, writing system
> partitions for platform specific functions (i.e. I/O and board health
> monitoring), and running my code.  Internally, timing will be
> completely out of whack, but the system partition providing I/O would
> provide the appearance of at least minor frame timing coherence.  Some
> failure scenarios wouldn't be emulated correctly, but I'm really only
> interested in nominal operation anyway.
>
> Phase 2 (currently not planned, but possible):
> Join or start a project to provide a true space/time partitioned ARINC
> 653 implementation of the target OS.

You should take a look to the existing solutions which mix RTEMS and ARINC653:
 -> POK provides an ARINC653 interface and runs on PPC, SPARC and X86.
POK is also directed into model based development using AADL for
configuration.
-> AIR was derived from RTEMS, runs on SPARC, and provides an ARINC653
compliant API along with RTEMS. AIR also features an I/O partition
with drivers for SpW, MIL-STD and Ethernet.