ARINC-653 API

Mathew Benson mathew.benson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 20:46:34 UTC 2012

First, I don't know what POK is.  Can you post a link to some info?

Second, I thought RTEMS was an RTOS.  In my experience the OS doesn't run "in partitions".  The partition is similar to a heavyweight thread or POSIX process with a two layer scheduler to provide the time partitioning.  The ARINC "process" is similar to a lightweight thread or POSIX thread.  The APEX library provides the ARINC API, but the OS provides the partitioning.

Finally, I have heard there is a Linux implementation of ARINC 653, but I've never seen or used it.  My Linux environment isn't really ARINC 653.  It provides the APEX API so the partition code compiles and executes, but without significant OS changes, it doesn't actually provide space/time partitioning.  ARINC 653 facilitates portability and provides safety.  My Linux environment just allows me to easily port in ARINC code.  It's not suitable for all testing and definitely not suitable for production.

Sorry, our Linux implementation is not open source, but it's fairly simple to write your own APEX API, if you don't need to actually implement partitioning. You just need to use the ARINC 643 header file, and write implementation code for it to map ARINC calls to OS calls.  It's only about 30 or 40 functions.

Sent from my iPhone