autoreconf --no-recursive

Andrei Chichak groups at chichak.ca
Fri Feb 17 18:23:09 UTC 2012

Sorry to be a PITA.

Now autoreconf is giving me grief. My bootstrap command is bitching that autoreconf can't handle the --no-recursive option.

I get the same weirdness with the 4.9 supported version of autoreconf (2.62).

The command SEEMS to think that it has that option, but it doesn't seem to work.

There are mutterings around the net about a bad version of perl causing this problem in other projects. My version of perl is v5.6.1 built for msys.

$ which autoreconf
/c/opt/rtems-4.11/bin/autoreconf

$ autoreconf --version
autoreconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.68
License GPLv3+/Autoconf: GNU GPL version 3 or later
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>, <http://gnu.org/licenses/exceptions.html>

Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

$ autoreconf --no-recursive
/c/opt/rtems-4.11/bin/autoreconf: unrecognized option `--no-recursive'
Try `/c/opt/rtems-4.11/bin/autoreconf --help' for more information.

$ autoreconf --help
Usage: /c/opt/rtems-4.11/bin/autoreconf [OPTION]... [DIRECTORY]...

Run `autoconf' (and `autoheader', `aclocal', `automake', `autopoint'
(formerly `gettextize'), and `libtoolize' where appropriate)
repeatedly to remake the GNU Build System files in specified
DIRECTORIES and their subdirectories (defaulting to `.').

By default, it only remakes those files that are older than their
sources.  If you install new versions of the GNU Build System,
you can make `autoreconf' remake all of the files by giving it the
`--force' option.

Operation modes:
  -h, --help               print this help, then exit
  -V, --version            print version number, then exit
  -v, --verbose            verbosely report processing
  -d, --debug              don't remove temporary files
  -f, --force              consider all files obsolete
  -i, --install            copy missing auxiliary files
      --no-recursive       don't rebuild sub-packages
  -s, --symlink            with -i, install symbolic links instead of copies
  -m, --make               when applicable, re-run ./configure && make
  -W, --warnings=CATEGORY  report the warnings falling in CATEGORY [syntax]

Warning categories include:
  `cross'         cross compilation issues
  `gnu'           GNU coding standards (default in gnu and gnits modes)
  `obsolete'      obsolete features or constructions
  `override'      user redefinitions of Automake rules or variables
  `portability'   portability issues (default in gnu and gnits modes)
  `syntax'        dubious syntactic constructs (default)
  `unsupported'   unsupported or incomplete features (default)
  `all'           all the warnings
  `no-CATEGORY'   turn off warnings in CATEGORY
  `none'          turn off all the warnings
  `error'         treat warnings as errors

The environment variable `WARNINGS' is honored.  Some subtools might
support other warning types, using `all' is encouraged.

Library directories:
  -B, --prepend-include=DIR  prepend directory DIR to search path
  -I, --include=DIR          append directory DIR to search path

The environment variables AUTOM4TE, AUTOCONF, AUTOHEADER, AUTOMAKE,
ACLOCAL, AUTOPOINT, LIBTOOLIZE, M4, and MAKE are honored.

Report bugs to <bug-autoconf at gnu.org>.
GNU Autoconf home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/>.
General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>.