autoreconf --no-recursive

Andrei Chichak groups at chichak.ca
Sat Feb 18 06:03:28 UTC 2012

On 2012-February-17, at 10:20 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On 02/17/2012 07:23 PM, Andrei Chichak wrote:
>> Sorry to be a PITA.
>>
>> Now autoreconf is giving me grief. My bootstrap command is bitching that
>> autoreconf can't handle the --no-recursive option.
>>
>> I get the same weirdness with the 4.9 supported version of autoreconf
>> (2.62).
>>
>> The command SEEMS to think that it has that option, but it doesn't seem
>> to work.
> Well, please provide more details.

Other than the command output that you snipped, all I found on this issue was:

http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/bugs/2010-December/012696.html

>> There are mutterings around the net about a bad version of perl causing
>> this problem in other projects.
> Correct. Last time I checked msys's perl was an utterly outdated version, nobody with a sane mind would want to use for anything
> (10 years or so old and long having been discontinued and abandoned).

This version of perl comes via installation of the current distribution of msys/mingw and associated tools from the RTEMS website. I try to only go on what I am offered as the latest working set of tools. I'd rather not diverge from the recommended set, as it makes asking for help approach NP-complete.

For experimentation purposes, I will be taking a snapshot of my VM and installing the latest msys/mingw/etc from sourceforge to see if this will get around the problem.

>> My version of perl is v5.6.1 built for msys.
> Ca. 10 years+ old - could be the version I had in mind above.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are old. The Rocky Mountains are old. 10 year old software, not so much. :-)
see above

>> $ which autoreconf
>> /c/opt/rtems-4.11/bin/autoreconf
> ... drive letters ...
>
> The RTEMS packages _must_ be accessed and invoked without drive letters. No idea how to achieve this under MinGW - except for occasionally exercising rudimentary testing of the MinGW packages, I do not use MinGW and Windows.

Agreed. You can find out how to achieve this under MinGW by the fstab entry as described by Chris in his message from yesterday. This method is used to convert "/" based file paths into "/c/" based paths. I did not know about this trick either, but I had been using it since 4.9, an odd situation to be sure but the evidence was in my fstab file.

> Ralf

Andrei