Starting with RTEMS

Cláudio Silva claudiodcsilva at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 13:28:46 UTC 2012

> Thanks Chris.
>
> However, the Build RTEMS section still needs revising. Can someone else
> point me a direction?

The information on the wiki is correct, you just have to change the
RTEMS version.
The instructions are also available in the getting started guide (this
part of the build process is equal on MinGW and Linux).
http://www.rtems.org/onlinedocs/releases/rtemsdocs-4.10.2/share/rtems/html/started/started00062.html

> For example, I want to build the Hello World application for an AVR
> processor. Should I download MinGW, AVR tools and the RTEMS tools? It is
> confusing because MinGW/AVR tools are in release 4.11 and RTEMS is on 4.10.

Yes. 4.11 is the current RTEMS head. If you are using RTEMS4.10 you
should obtain the MinGW tools for that same version on
http://www.rtems.org/ftp/pub/rtems/mingw32/4.10/

> Also, what is the process of compiling/building this sample application?
> E.g: choosing BSP first, then the code, etc.

First you need to build and install RTEMS for your target
architecture/bsp. Then you can use one of the provided samples and
built it. The process is described here:

http://www.rtems.org/onlinedocs/releases/rtemsdocs-4.10.2/share/rtems/html/started/started00063.html

Some samples (including hello world) are available here:
http://www.rtems.org/ftp/pub/rtems/4.10.2/examples-v2-4.10.2.tar.bz2

Regards,
Cláudio