Network configuration

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Feb 23 19:44:19 UTC 2012

On 24/02/12 5:46 AM, Claus, Ric wrote:
> Can someone please tell me how to get RTEMS to dump all of its network configuration parameters?  I know about ifconfig and netstats, but those don't tell me what the system thinks its host or domain names are, the DNS and NTP entries, etc.  How do I get at those things?

There are 2 possible places you can find this information in RTEMS
depending on how you use the networking stack.

The hosts are listed in /etc/hosts so a cat of that file will list them.
For DNS you can cat /etc/resolv.conf and NTP would be its configuration
file in /etc. There is code such as mkrootfs or something like that
which sets the file system up.

RTEMS also has a "feature" in the stack where some entries can be added
to internal tables in the stack. I am not sure there is a command to
dump these. It would not be difficult to add.

> My second request is whether there is a network ping utility for RTEMS available.  It would be useful to be able to ping from the RTEMS system's viewpoint.

Not that I know of. I worked on a project many years ago where it was
added. The ping command from FreeBSD was used as the base.

> My questions pertain to 4.10.2 and above.  The Network Supplement appears to be somewhat out of date.  I am trying to figure out what happens when one or more of the network parameters are left in their default state.

I suspect the assumption is to use FreeBSD's documentation.

Chris