Space Qualified RTEMS

Wed Jan 25 17:05:22 UTC 2012

This thread has touched on an issue which is really important
to the RTEMS Project.  Forking old versions isn't a good
long-term solution for users or the project.  The RTEMS Project
exists because of its users and finding the best technical
solution for RTEMS releases to feed into an organization's
validation and qualification process is important.

The RTEMS Project produces releases with a particular
set of supporting artifacts in arbitrary formats. The set of
artifacts, the format, and the technical information in them
can and should be driven by user requirements.

For example, RTEMS Tests are designed to be run on any user
hardware. Combined with the coverage analysis tools, you can
reproduce our test and coverage results.  If the results are
insufficient, provide improvements so they meet your
requirements. You use those improvements locally and they
get merged into the main project. Next time, the test reports
and results should meet your requirements or at least be closer.

Without feedback to the RTEMS Project and a closed loop,
this will never happen.  Nothing personal, this is just what
needs to happen.

Cynically, I believe it is not in the business interest of the large
contractors doing the space work to provide feedback. If it keeps
their fork alive or keeps it costly to validate a new RTEMS version for
the next mission, then it is good for their business. They sell hours
and bodies.

On 01/25/2012 09:38 AM, Zandin Johan RUAG N wrote:
> Lee: My experience is that it's very dependent on the criticality of the software:
> * If it's just part of an instrument, where the mission can handle that the instrument
>    goes down and has to be rebooted, the requirements from ESA are usually less rigorous.
> * But if you build mission-critical software, e.g. for attitude- and orbit-control or
>    for the overall management of the spacecraft (which is my main tasks), they will
>    usually require a validated version. The same goes for safety-critical software
>    (e.g. manned space missions and launcher systems).

I expect this to always be true. But the distance between "official" RTEMS
and what meets a project's validation requirements doesn't have to be
far apart.

The fundamental problem is that there is no desire, intention, effort, etc.
to provide any feedback from the "space qualified" version back into the
main source base. This means that it will be no easier to feed a new version
of RTEMS into the validation machinery than it was to do 4.8.
> Thomas: Very good points! I think they should be discussed with ESA and with both
> minor an major RTEMS users in the European space industry.

Thomas and I have talked a lot about this over the past few years and he
is spot on.  I agree with everything he said.  I would just like to add that
the ultimate goal of the test suite improvements and coverage analysis
is for the open RTEMS Project to provide releases which can be easily
incorporated into projects with high requirements.

There has been no significant feedback from anyone in a qualification
path on what coverage or information in reports they would like to see.
This is even less input than providing test cases or code improvements
which would improve testability, coverage, etc.

We want the RTEMS Project releases to be of high quality and feed into
ESA and NASA qualification efforts. But so far, this has been a one-sided
conversation.
> In the numerous RTEMS projects I have worked, our intention has definitely been to
> report all detected problems upstream and some of the differences between the
> "space qualified" versions and the RTEMS main branch can probably be solved by
> properly committing patches upstream.

Sorry to say but there really hasn't been any significant input from the ESA
community.  Maybe a handful of PRs but I don't remember any off the
top of my head.

In contrast, MMS is using a release tarball (or something very close). They
provided feedback and we worked with them so a standard release met
their requirements.
> But other ones would probably have a larger impact on the RTEMS main branch if
> they should be integrated there, e.g. adding configuration options to strip away
> unused code (to save memory space, to avoid accidental execution and to minimize
> the amount of code to qualify). That of course has to be discussed in the RTEMS
> community too.

It wouldn't take any more effort than it would to implement on an old
version of RTEMS. It isn't a matter of money or engineering effort, it is
simply a lack of intention.

I have no idea what code space reduction options have been added/hacked
into the ESA 4.8 but many code space reduction options have been added
to the real source since then.  Implementing these type of configuration
options
is tricky and I would have my personal doubts that if they have done
anything
significant, they have likely broken something.

But no attempt has even been made to feed these back into the community.
So that leaves ESA with a hacked fork that bears less and less
resemblance to
the main source that continues to evolve and improve with virtually no
input
from that community.
> But once such issues have been resolved, it should be perfectly possible to space
> qualify an official RTEMS version instead. To minimize the qualification work, you
> would probably only qualify a limited set of configurations on a particular HW
> platform. But it would be the same code base as anyone else used.

I stand by my assertion that it is possible for the RTEMS Project to provide
test suites, coverage reports and tools, and configuration options that
would
make your in-house efforts easier. Certainly the distance between RTEMS
release tarball and what passes an organization's test and validation
efforts
can shrink. But that takes feedback on what is missing and what of that
makes sense to even be provided by the RTEMS Project.

Ultimately, RTEMS is what the users make of it.