Space Qualified RTEMS

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Wed Jan 25 17:15:52 UTC 2012

Johan,

thank you for your interesting post.

Am 25.01.2012 16:38, schrieb Zandin Johan RUAG N:

> Thomas: Very good points! I think they should be discussed with ESA and with both
> minor an major RTEMS users in the European space industry.

Up to now our problem is, that we couldn't get in touch with anyone
responsible for the missions OS inside the ESA or in the inner circle of
the european space industry. So any hints/recommendations/activities
changing this situation are heartily welcome ;-)

> In the numerous RTEMS projects I have worked, our intention has definitely been to
> report all detected problems upstream and some of the differences between the
> "space qualified" versions and the RTEMS main branch can probably be solved by
> properly committing patches upstream.
>
> But other ones would probably have a larger impact on the RTEMS main branch if
> they should be integrated there, e.g. adding configuration options to strip away
> unused code (to save memory space, to avoid accidental execution and to minimize
> the amount of code to qualify). That of course has to be discussed in the RTEMS
> community too.

It really depends on the type of midification needed. When a severe
change to the RTEMS core is required, the community might find different
solutions, so a sort of a discussion process will take place, but my
experience is that if one user/application has urgent needs to modify
the RTEMS sources, many others may appreciate this modification
(allthough this might not have been such a heavy problem for them..).

Saftey-critical of "too expansive to fail" applications are getting more
and more common, so it is not only the space applications which require
a lean, qualified system. So the ESA requirements will not be SO exotic
that upstream RTEMS would simply reject all changes in that direction.

wkr,

Thomas.