Can rtems4.11-gcc compile rtems-4.10?

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Jul 24 16:44:28 UTC 2012

On 07/24/2012 06:21 PM, Pierre Ficheux wrote:
> Le 24/07/2012 18:08, 薛飞 a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>> Someone can tell me how to use rtems4.11-gcc to compile rtems-4.10? Now,
>> i have rtems4.11 toolchains and rtems4.10 source code,
>> i want to use the toolchain to compile the code, i configured the
>> target=xxxx-rtems4.11, but fail. Thanks!
>>

> What's the use of it? It's not so difficult/long to build a 4.10 compiler.
>
> http://www.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/Building_Tools

This is just a rough and coarse outline, describing the basic working
principle, it lacks many details and doesn't reflect the fact building
the toolchains is a rolling and evolving process. I can't recommend
anybody (esp. new-comers) following it.

That said, if not very being careful, it's pretty much guaranteed to
kill an installation. It's one of the reasons why I am supplying binary
packages and why OpenSource OS vendors are supplyling binary packages ;)

Ralf