Virtualbox RTEMS Setup

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri Jul 20 17:06:07 UTC 2012

A little more background. RTEMS is cross-compiled, meaning that you
compile RTEMS for a particular target hardware (e.g. x86 or arm) using
your host tools. So you need a toolchain for the target that you want
to execute RTEMS on, and you compile RTEMS for that target and
whichever board support package (BSP) will run. You "install" RTEMS on
the host so that the pre-built RTEMS and BSP are available and then
you will be able to compile applications/examples against the
installed RTEMS. Then you can download and execute your cross-compiled
application on the board (or simulator) supported by that BSP.

So to execute an RTEMS application on a given piece of hardware you need:
* toolchain for the target architecture (e.g. ARM)
* RTEMS configured, compiled, and installed for the architecture and BSP
* application compiled against the installed RTEMS
* a way to download and execute the application on your target

I think that covers the generalities. More specifics are available in
the manuals and on the wiki, or you can ask questions here as you run
into issues...