File systems on SD memory devices

Claus, Ric claus at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Jun 8 05:19:57 UTC 2012

Our RTEMS-based project will use micro-SD memory devices to store boot and application images, as well as configuration information files.  I am charged with interfacing the hardware to our software, possibly via RTEMS.  This is new territory for me, so I am wondering whether people in the community would share their wisdom with me.

What file systems are appropriate to these devices?

What are the pros and cons?

We don't want to infringe on anyone's patents, so probably FAT is out, right?

Does RTEMS already support something appropriate?

If not, is it something we should work toward contributing?

It would be nice if the format is supported by Linux, MacOS and/or Windows, but not strictly required.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

	Cheers,
			Ric