managers

Mon Jun 18 13:26:19 UTC 2012

On 06/17/2012 02:05 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> When the optional manager feature was added all code in a manager -- all directives -- was in a single file. This originally gave you stub replacements for all directives.
>
> With one method per file, it often increased code space in executables, w
Grrr.. was on my phone. :(

When we moved to one method per file, there really wasn't as much reason
to use this. If you don't configure any objects of a manager, you can't
create
them, you can't access them, etc..

It devolved to only being able to stub out the initialization routine of
some
(but not all) managers.

In the long run, we may be better off with a "constructor" style
initialization
like that found in FreeBSD or something similar. That way if you need
the initialization
routine, it is implicitly referenced. Otherwise, it is left out.  Chris
Johns had a
prototype of this working a while back. The question with this approach
is whether
the code to process the "constructor tables" and data required would really
result in savings over just having the small initialization routines
there all the
time.