How to get performance matrix

Thu Mar 8 16:43:42 UTC 2012

On 03/08/2012 08:21 AM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Gedare Bloom<gedare at rtems.org>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If your target has a decent on-chip timer then you should be able to
>> use the tmtests to get some idea. I can't speak to how
>> accurate/precise the numbers would be but it would be a good place to
>> start.

The numbers from the tmtests are as good as the timer driver
and underlying hardware. :)

On some boards, they report cycles, on others microseconds.

Various tmtests and psxtmtests include interrupt and context
switch timing.  These are straightforward tests generally designed
to reliably give accurate timings for a specific use case of a method.
The focus is on determining if a change has an impact and being
able to compare RTEMS performance across BSPs and architectures.

If you have other timing scenarios you are interested in, then
we are open to submissions. This type of code needs careful
review to ensure you are accurately measuring what you think
you are and don't end up with anomalies.

--joel