What about Virtual Machine for RTEMS?

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Mar 13 01:26:28 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM, vai bas <vai.csse at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear rtems-users,
>

>           Can someone give me conform about building and running RTEMS in VM
> that will not effect my running OS in my machine? After building and
> compiling code how can I run RTOS to use? Which VM will be prefareble for
> Win and for Ubuntu? Maybe question looks quite stupid but I got confuse.
> That's why want to be sure from experienced developer and user. If it has
> chance to make some kind of risk to host and target machine then I want to
> be care. Give me good link to build RTEMS and run in VM as system.

http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/Virtual_Machines_for_RTEMS_Development

The image comes with RTEMS tools pre-installed. It is designed to be
easy to get going.

>         What I have already done is: Downloaded .rpms for fedora 15 from ftp
> server and changed them to .dev and expert in Ubuntu. Then I have found
> problem to do ./bootstrap command. How it will work and what can I run
> through hera? Thank you as advance.

What problem did you have with bootstrap?

On Ubuntu you can also build the tools by hand. Some have done this in
the past and reported on their experiences:
http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/Building_the_RTEMS_toolset_on_Ubuntu