Gsoc2012 project

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Thu Mar 15 02:37:16 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM, yangwei weiyang <wei.a.yang at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
>    Now the Gsoc2012 is getting more and more close. So in order to
> select most suitable project for me
> and rtems community from my interested projects, there are some
> questions needed to be answered:
> 1. In the open project page, Clang/LLVM support for RTEMS is one of my
> interested projects. And in the
> past days throught my investigation i have made Clang build the newlib
> and RTEMS source code (for i386 BSP)
> successfully. The build instruction and related information have be
> updated on the wiki. But only this small
> step is not enough to constitute a good proposal. So if you think this
> is really a good project for RTEMS, could
> you list what features you want with the Clang/LLVM support for RTEMS,
> which contains enough tasks for
> a summer of GSOC project.
Ideally clang/llvm should compile all (feasible) rtems targets. This
project would involve picking a target architecture and:
* identifying/removing/circumventing gcc-isms
* getting clang/llvm to compile rtems
* running test suites
* identifying bugs
* filing bug reports to appropriate people (clang/llvm, rtems, or others)
* documenting how to use clang with rtems
* developing procedures to repeat the task for other target architectures

There may be new code / code fixes required in rtems, libc (newlib),
or even clang in order to get rtems to compile properly for any given
target.

> 2. RTEMS Toolkits --- ApplicationConfigurationGUI is another
> interested project for me. In the description there
> are some protential ways to approach this project. As it says the more
> better possibility is to write a GUI program
> in Python and read a XML parse which read the XML format file
> describing the RTEMS configuration parameters,
> and then generate a header file used for RTEMS sourece code. I also
> think this is relatively a good implement,
> because Python has rich UI libarys like PyQt which is also
> cross-platform and it support XML parse very well. About
> this project what advice do you have for me?
This project would focus on usability and capturing the richness of
configurations for RTEMS. The tool should be extensible, as the
configuration options tend to grow between releases of RTEMS. Note
that right now there is no "XML format file" that describes RTEMS
configurations---there is no standard format in fact. So part of this
project should define a standard format or at least store
configurations in a format that is maintainable and easy to translate
to an application header file.

I would also say that a CLI is equally important to a GUI, and that a
Configuration project should consider how to support command-line
usage.

> 3. About the second project i found there was a student proposed a
> proposal in the past but he was not accepted.
> So i want to know whether the project about the third party package or
> not closely related to embeded development
> with RTEMS like development environment oiented has low priority to be accepted?

I do not know nor would I say why a past student's project did not get
accepted. That said, the strength of the student/proposal tends to
weigh more heavily than the priority of the project. I encourage you
to choose a project that you feel comfortable with and have some
passion for, because that will lead to a stronger proposal and greater
chance for success.

-Gedare