ARINC-653 API

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Sat Mar 17 04:00:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Cláudio Silva <claudiodcsilva at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the paravirtualization project you need to account for several
> complex things. e.g. memory model of the underlying hypervisor,
> removing supervisor mode "things", interrupt virtualization, etc. This
> gets even more complex if you want a hypervisor-independent layer/BSP
> and different HW architectures.
>
> I feel that the key point for RTEMS in this project is hypervisor
> independence. Focusing on only one hypervisor is wrong.
> Besides this, I also think that the role of providing these
> BSPs/Layers should be from those who develop the hypervisors. They
> should contribute the changes they made to RTEMS or at least make them
> available even if not "merged" to RTEMS.

Agreed. Paravirtualization ought to factor out the
privileged/protected instructions and provide an RTEMS interface that
can wrap hypercalls to whatever VMM will be used. The specifics of the
hypercalls should be pluggable for any particular hypervisor.

> Now regarding the ARINC 653 API implementation. Most of the services i
> mentioned in my previous email have almost perfect correspondence with
> RTEMS or POSIX services already available. Therefore even if you don't
> want the ARINC653 API implemented as a wrapper to the classic API,
> there would be a lot of code reusable from other APIs.
> In a quick overview (i am probably missing somethings) :
> - Processes: ARINC processes are priority based. There are periodic
> and aperiodic processes. The process period is given when the process
> is created and then the process can do such things as
> "periodic_wait()" to sleep and only be awaken at next periodic release
> point. Although there is no direct match to the classic or posix API,
> this implementation shouldn't prove very hard.
> - Time Management: Services to obtain monotonic time with nsec
> precision (similar to rtems_clock_get_uptime()), to wait for an amount
> of time (similar to rtems_task_wake_after()) and related to process
> periodicity (periodic_wait and replenish) .
> - Buffers: Message queues (FIFO) of a given size. Processes can block
> in them and are awaken in priority or FIFO order.
> - Blackboards: Single message queue. One writer, several consumers.
> Reading processes can block and are all awaken at the same time on
> write.
> - Semaphores. Counting Semaphore (priority or FIFO). Similar to
> rtems_semaphores.
> - Events. These are similar to binary conditions. (similar to
> pthread_cond / cond_broadcast)
> - Error Handling: This would need to be better analyzed.
>
> In my opinion a good GSOC project would be implementing (and
> merging!!) these services and providing documentation . If there is
> time remaining one could start to approach coverage.
>  I think that for the "ARINC 653 community" it only makes sense to
> test the full system, and for that you require an underlying
> hypervisor. The"ARINC 653 community" generally has the resources to do
> their own validation testing.

This sums up things nicely, although the amount of work might be large
for a gsoc project.