Project about Atomic Operations

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Sat Mar 17 17:39:48 UTC 2012

Hi Wei,

You seem to have a fair grasp on the basics of this project. I see a
few basic phases in this project:
1) Design support for atomic operations usable by RTEMS score. This
involves creating an RTEMS internal API for atomic operations that is
not CPU-specific. Because of the varied hw requirements something like
the cache manager might be a good candidate to copy from, for example
something like an Atomic Operations Manager that has a similar
software architecture as the Cache Manager might satisfy our needs.
2) Implement default stubs (nops) for the API.
3) Write simple test code that uses the API (stubs). Tests should run
on all RTEMS targets.
4) Submit code and documentation.
5) Implement the atomic operations for a particular CPU. Document
procedures for implementation.
6) Test.
7) Submit.

With step 5 you might be able to borrow code from FreeBSD or
ConcurrencyKit or some other appropriately-licensed software. If you
keep the ConcurrencyKit/FreeBSD atomic operations implemif you keep
the ConcurrencyKit/FreeBSD atomic operations implementations in mind
as you design the Atomic Operations Manager this step may be
straightforward.entations in mind as you design the Atomic Operations
Manager this step may be straightforward. Once you complete through
step 7 you can also consider how to integrate the full ConcurrencyKit
with the RTEMS Atomic Operations Manager to provide some useful
synchronization tools that use the atomic operations.

-Gedare