Project about Atomic Operations

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Mar 26 15:32:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Sebastian Huber
<sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
> On 03/26/2012 04:43 PM, Yang Wei wrote:
>>
>> Hi Huber,
>>     The implementation of C 2011 standard should also be part of
>> compiler,right?
>

> Yes, but the compiler might need help from the operating system.
>

>> I am not really familiar with its implementation. And the C 2011 support
>> all architecture atomic primitive?
>

> The atomic support is optional, but I guess GCC will support it on all main
> architectures.  Please also have a look in the standard:
>
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1570.pdf

Maybe we should design our API to be at least a superset of what the
compiler must provide for C11 compliance. Target architectures /
compilers that do not support the C11 atomics will need the atomic
operations implemented in assembly language. For targets that are
supported the API will thinly wrap the C-language atomic features and
can share code.

-Gedare