Status of pkg-config support for RTEMS BSPs

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Mar 2 07:55:03 UTC 2012

On 03/02/2012 06:07 AM, Wendell Silva wrote:
> Oops! Now that I've carefully read the comment in the .pc file, I just
> realized that pkg-config is experimental.
>
> (LOL).

LOL - This sentence is a bit of an understatement ;)

Reality is, pkg-config support has never been finished, because

- pkg-config support so far was widely ignored my other RTEMS developers
and my personal "one-man show".

- pkg-config support did not get the attention by the RTEMS community,
it would have needed. I am assuming, the common RTEMS user doesn't even
know pkg-config and therefore doesn't know about the advantages it would
provide.

- it's not yet possible to ship RTEMS binary packages, which would be
the situation pkg-config should unfold its advantages.

- pkg-config's development went a winding road, which had caused
confusions and unclarity on many implementation details in for the RTEMS
use-case.

In short: RTEMS's pkg-config support in its current state is broken and
would need more attention.

  However, I regret, ATM, I am closer to removing it than to making it
functional, because I am personally disappointed about the apparent lack
of interest it has received.

Ralf